Dhanushka Gunathillaka who got injured during the recent New Zealand tour has been pilling runs in the domestic setting. He has 2 centuries out of the last 5 games he played including a match winning score against the Colombo Cricket Club in the finals of Premier Limited Over Tournament today (19th).
His form lights a shining ray of hope for Sri Lankan cricket, during these hard times where Sri Lanka is desperate for a good and dependable opener. Moreover, he is arguably our best fielder who can easily save 20~30 runs in any given day. He is also a handy part-time spinner which is a helpful fact in the balance of the team.
Therefore, we at Cricketry Sri Lanka hope that he continues this good run in the upcoming provincial tournament and get selected to the squad for world cup 2019.
With Dhanushka Gunathillaka’s good run along with Dimuth Karunarathne’s form now the selectors have two great candidates for the opening slot. As promised we will do the necessary updates for Cricketry Sri Lanka’s article series on World Cup Playing 11. Here are the links to our World Cup Playing 11, in case you missed any of them.
- Who should be our openers for world cup 2019?
- Sri Lanka’s squad for the cricket world cup 2019: a Cricketry analysis
- World cup squad 2019: Sachithra Senanayake as a genuine all rounder
- Playing 11 of the world cup 2019: Kusal Perera’s role
- Playing 11 of the world cup 2019: Thisara Perera’s role